Finding auto insurance quotes online is easy, but finding the cheapest auto insurance rates can be a bigger challenge. To get the lowest quotes, follow these tips to help you find ways to cut possibly hundreds of your auto insurance quotes.
1. Give them details – If you don’t provide information about your zip code, marital status, car safety features, and annual travel miles, by default, insurance companies will quote you a higher auto insurance rate. Please provide as much detail as possible to ensure you get every discount you qualify for.
2. Compare prices – Auto insurance rates can vary by up to 300% between companies for the same coverage. You can save hundreds of dollars a year by comparing prices between companies. Be sure to check with your current insurance company, they may have lower rates for new clients that you can negotiate on your own.
3. Increase your deductible – A higher deductible equals lower insurance premiums. For example, increasing your deductible from $ 250 to $ 500 can save you a hundred dollars or more on your annual premium. However, plan to have additional financial resources to cover the deductible in the event of an accident.
4. Reduce the miles you drive – Drivers who travel an average of 40 miles or less per day qualify for a low mileage discount with most insurance companies. Consider carpooling or taking public transportation a couple of days a week to reduce your car’s mileage and qualify for the discount. By flying or taking a train to go on vacation instead of driving, you can further reduce the miles on your car.
5. Change drivers – For married couples, compare the insurance quotes between the man as the main driver and the woman as the main driver. You can get a lower quote if the woman is insured in a truck and the man is insured in the minivan. Teens should also be insured in safer cars, like the family sedan, rather than a sports car.
6. Add an anti-theft device – By installing car alarms or a tracking system in your car, you will get a discount from car insurance companies. Since anti-theft devices reduce the risk of your car being stolen, insurance companies pass the savings on to you. A certified defensive driving class can also lower your premium for three years with most insurance companies.