Contract to Rent Student Accommodation

When it comes to renting student accommodation in Lancashire it is important to take your time and be aware of the potential issues you could face. It is also a good idea to seek advice from your students’ union or the university accommodation officers before you sign any contract. This article will outline what you should be looking for in your contract to rent student accommodation and how to check that it is up to standard.

It is important to remember that any contract you enter into will be legally binding and there is no cooling off period like there would be if you were buying a house. Once you have signed a contract it is very difficult to get out of.

There are many different types of contracts offered by landlords for Lancashire student accommodation, but the two main ones would be a joint tenancy or an individual tenancy. A joint tenancy will mean that all the tenants are treated as one group, so if one person decides to leave or if they can’t afford their rent payments for whatever reason then the remaining people in the flat will be expected to cover the cost. Individual contracts are more desirable as this gives each tenant their own individual agreement with the landlord.

Generally, private houses that are rented out to students are classed as Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMOs) and this means that you will share the kitchen, living area and bathrooms with other occupants. You can expect to pay between £50 and £270 per week to live in HMO accommodation which will also include bills such as electricity, gas, water rates and internet. There may be an additional damage deposit of between £150 and £300.

What to Look For in a Contract to Rent Student Accommodation

If you are moving into privately rented Lancashire student accommodation that is not part of the university’s accommodation service then you will most likely be asked to provide a guarantor. A guarantor is someone who will agree that in the worst case scenario they will pay your rent if you are unable to make your payments. This is normally your parents but it can be another family member or friend.

When viewing student houses in Preston it is important to be aware that only official university-registered accommodation can be advertised on StudentPad. If you see accommodation advertised elsewhere it is most likely unregistered and it may not comply with regulations or be safe.

While accommodations may have safety measures in place, personal safety is ultimately your responsibility. Take precautions such as locking doors and windows, not sharing access codes or keys with strangers, and being mindful of your personal belongings. If you live in a shared space, trust your instincts when it comes to the behavior of others and report any concerns to the appropriate authorities. Stay informed about emergency procedures and familiarize yourself with fire exits and evacuation plans. By being proactive and aware, you can help maintain a safe and secure living environment.

If you are going to be living in a HMO then you should check that the furniture and furnishings comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988. The best way to do this is to look for labels that are sewn into the upholstery stating that they comply. If they do not comply then you can report the landlord to Trading Standards who will issue them with a heavy fine.

Your tenancy agreement will usually state that you must keep the property in a clean and tidy condition. This includes keeping the exterior of the property clean and free of rubbish and pest infestations. You should also ensure that the plumbing systems and electrical installations are in good working order and safe.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *